Friday, January 27, 2012

I Shutter At The Thought

In my bedroom I could have what might be the last set of mini-blinds in Texas. Maybe not Texas, but Collin County at least. We've been in this house for over 8 years now and I have no idea what to do.
When we first moved in we installed some inexpensive curtains*.  When we painted this room a couple of years ago they came down and I didn't want to put them back up. I just didn't want to put up something that I wasn't crazy about. I'm not doing that anymore! If I don't love it, it's not going up in the house.

I have an un-dying admiration for plantation shutters. They just scream "southern charm" to me. They would probably keep out the cold in winter and heat in summer as well**! It's taking a long a time to get this house the way I want it***.

This is where my dilemma begins. Can I have shutters in just one room of the house? Or should I work my way through the house with shutters for a more consistent look? Before we painted the room the moldings were a honey brown color. Straight out of the 80's. Yuck! Now they're a creamy, off-white color. I like the look of shutters that have a distressed brown tone to them. But would they stick out like a sore thumb? I'm wondering if I should go with a distressed white? If they were distressed they wouldn't scream out, "Hey look at me. I'm brand new. Look at me". I want them to look like they've been here for a long time.

I know in a world of crazy unemployment and world hunger this is the least of anybody's worries. But that's what's going on in my head right now. I'm trying to keep the economy going with my share of window coverings. 



*by inexpensive, I mean cheap
**and the neighbors annoying flood light on the side of their house. That light might meet a bee bee gun very soon! Or I may just go unscrew it.
***way too long for my patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment