Friday, August 27, 2010

Pack up the Clique Committee

From the time we grow up, and I guess until the time we die we find a group of people that will carry us through. They will carry us through the good, bad and everything in between. Whether it starts when our parents put us in daycare, or preschool. It may change a few times over the course of our lives. Who am I kidding? It WILL change a lot.

Even as we grow into adulthood, we seem to go through life in "packs". Some people would go as far as to call groups of people "cliques".  At some places they're even called, "committees". Never intending to exclude, just not wanting to be welcoming to "outsiders". There are groups of  neighbors. There are cliques at church. God bless the little PTA clique! Some are determined by age, geographic location or even status in life. Groups by political beliefs, anyone?

The other day I was having a pity party in my head and heart. Now that school is back in session, the same group of women walk their kids to school each morning. I tried to say, "Good morning" once. It broke the concentration of the conversation they were taking part in. They almost tripped, I think. One lady two doors down has decided to join in and when she's running late I catch her cutting through houses to meet up with the gang. It's kind of funny.

That same morning I also noticed that a particular group of women was showing a huge amount of love towards another mom at church on facebook. It turns out they all know each other through the moms of preschoolers group. I don't know how this lady does it. People even comment on her posts just to put a stupid smiley face on it. I mean really? If you don't have anything more to say that :), really????

Later that day of my pity party, my aunt told me that she was taking my mom to the hospital. I called my lifeline. My pity party was over. She has been there for the last five years and been nothing but constant strength, humor, grace, sarcasm, love and faithfulness. She offered to pick up my girls before I even had to ask. We don't live in the same neighborhood, we don't even live in the same city. Even if my clique, pack or committee isn't as big as others I have a true friendship that will stand the test of time. A steadfast confidant! A sister I never had, but always longed for. She never judges. She can provide a good ear and a glass of wine to go with it. 

So I guess the lesson is, we all have a part in cliques. Whether on the inside or outside. We will never get past them. Whether accidental or on purpose, there's no getting around it. Take it all in stride. One foot in front of the other. One day at a time. A good laugh and good glass of wine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment