Monday, June 22, 2009

Fathers Day

Can I just say, that I'm glad Fathers Day is over.

I don't mean any disrespect toward my husband. He's the best father I could have imagined for my daughters. He's caring, loving and very sensitive to their fragile beings. He is truly their "daddy" through and through. They love him with their entire being.

My daughters have the opposite of what I had.

I'm not sure that I would call my dad, "daddy" or "father". He's more than a sperm donor. I'm not sure how to address him when I speak of him with my mom. Am I insulting her in any way when I refer to him as my "dad" or "father"? Or should I just call him by his first name?

My dad broke my heart. He was a slave to alcohol. He had a bond with the bottle that my mom and I couldn't come between.

After having children of my own, I know the love that a parent has for a child and I can't come to terms with why I wasn't worth kicking the habit for. It's my "cross to bare" I guess.

For some reason this Fathers Day just seemed to bother me. Hopefully the feeling will go as soon as it comes next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment